Wednesday, July 1, 2009

6.29.09

Sadly, the frequency of letters has gone down but the content has definitely gone up. The last letter Jake sent came in at 5 pages. This one is 7 pages long.


"Dear everyone back home,

I'm hoping this one gets put on the blog because I'm responding to as many people as possible. I haven't had a lot of time to write over the last few days. The other day, I learned 10 ways to kill someone without firing. With a bayonet and rifle stock. It's a very surreal experience. One of the drill instructors said I'd make a very brutal killer. Should I be proud of that? After that, we got to do pugil sticks, which is basically a giant Q-tip. I don't understand what happened. I was up against this Albanian kid who is always messing up. His first thing was to freeze, so I side swiped him with the black end (rifle butt) and he fell down. For some reason I started bashing his head with the red end (representing a bayonet) and I didn't stop, even after the whistle blew. I was declared the winner. I'm not sure if I should be proud. Everyone said it was just great intensity. The longer I'm here, the more brutal I become. Yesterday, we were practicing MCMAP, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, the drill instructor told me to go against him again. When we were doing submissions, I tossed him and wrist locked him. The drill instructors trust and like me, but hate him. He started to yell cause it hurt, but he didn't tap out. I had orders not to let go till he tapped. Then a drill instructor told me to break his wrist and throat stomp him if he didn't want to tap. So, I almost did it, but he tapped. I don't know if that's right or wrong. All I know is the orders I'm given. So yes, I guess the weakness is leaving me. Ha ha. Thank you for all your letters. You don't know how important they are. If only you were here, you would understand. Dad, I really appreciate what you are doing. I wish I had the time to do the same, but I work sixteen hours everyday, then sleep for eight. I get about an hour of independent work time, but because I'm such an important recruit, I'm usually very busy. I'm the head mail clerk, head laundry recruit, and the linen recruit. That means I'm pretty much busy all the time. I have a lot of responsibilities. I've finally adjusted to everything but one thing. It's hard not to fall asleep whenever we sit down. It's odd though, this place really is inspiring. I saw a recruit save another recruit's life. He was choking, so he jumped over and Heimliched him. Then he sat down and kept eating. That's true humility. Yeah, but I'm adapting. It's not getting any easier, but I'm getting better. I worry though, I think Lacey is going to "Dear John" me. But I guess it's not a problem. I got my brothers here. I hope she doesn't. To the Forreys, thank you for your letter. I appreciate it. Thank you Aunt Jen, any words of encouragement really does help. Thank you Ruby, I really liked your picture. It's very motivating. To Brother Birchall, I really liked your letter. It's nice to know that someone outside of my family cares too. I know I have to keep my head up. I got some help from my SDI last night. He made me feel better. He talked to me about my nerdy side. He loves Warhammer 40K and he had me teach him some stuff last night. That was the best thing that has happened so far. Just being able to sit down and talk to someone. I don't know why our SDI joined the Marines. He could have been many other things. He could have been so many other things. An Officer or a comedian. He's really funny. Or a singer, he really does have a beautiful voice. But I'm guessing some people think that about me too. I have a really hard time climbing the rope. I hate it. I got called a failure and it really bothered me a lot. It's always funny to see new companies.


I was going to end my letter early and just send a four pager, but I guess I'll keep adding on. I was diagnosed with severe left lung pneumonia yesterday. Go figure, right? I swear, I have the worst luck sometimes. I was counting it out. Did you know I make a grand total of $1.80 an hour? Amazing, right? So I was on bed rest yesterday. Today, I feel like a million bucks. I'm freaking ready for anything this place has to throw at me! I put myself back on full duty, even though I'm not supposed to. The SDI won't mind. I miss you guys a lot. Pneumonia is horrible, it makes you hate every moment you exist. LOL. But I have antibiotics now. I excel at MCMAP. My time at BJMUTA, Big John McCarthy Ultimate Training Academy, helped a lot. I turn 18 next month! I guess it doesn't really mean much cause I'm here , and I'll probably get some birthday IT. Drill instructor Sgt. Brewer will probably make me say something dumb like, "It's this recruit's birthday." You guys can't imagine how exciting next week will be. I get to get another shot at the obstacle course. I'm going to kick that things trash! Then we have initial drill! I'm going to kick butt at that too, even though I'm not great at drill. It's a lot to remember sometimes! I kind of feel bad for any attractive women on base. They are always getting stared at. Former First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt one said, "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" A lot of our instructors are dirty, dirty minded. LOL. Tell everyone in the ward that I miss 'em. Often times here, it's hard to feel the spirit because drill instructors are the anti-christ. I love my SDI though. He just reminds me of home and makes me laugh. "I just used to go to whatever church I thought served chew!" He was walking by the other night before I hit the rack and he was like, "If I had a sniper-bazooka, I'd blow you guys up." Sometimes he "cares so much" he has to IT us. We've all started to really adapt. We move faster and with more intensity. We're starting to be louder all the time. Every single week we are here, we just make leaps and bounds. Of all the things I've learned, I've learned the most about cleaning. I'm now adept at washing and drying cloths, mopping and sweeping, washing windows, cleaning stairs, and bathrooms. He he. It's a lot of work but it's worth it, I suppose. I've also learned to obey orders without question. I'm told to do something and I leap to it. I don't ask why or even wonder, I just do it. LOL. It's a crazy thing. Well, I'm going to go train. I hope this finds you guys well. I love you all.

Love,
Recruit Suter"


WOW!!! I think Jake has really made some big progressions. It's hard for us to believe that he is only in his forth week. We will be waiting anxiously for the next installment.


No comments:

Post a Comment